Small Business Marketing Challenge
Welcome to the 2020 Small Business Marketing Challenge.
Client Invitation Letter
Please download and read the following letter in order to familiarise yourself with the programme:
If you would like to read about the value that this programme has had for other small businesses please see the following short document:
Finally, in order to participate in this programme please complete the client registration form:
Workshop and meeting dates
Chapter 5 - Other Website Pages
The entire MS Teams recording for this chapter can be found on YouTube:
In the first 35 minutes of the video we discuss the administrative aspects of the programme such as the sign up of agencies and clients.
A. ADMIN PAGES
1. Develop all the admin website pages.
2. Design them in such a way that converts potential customers and leads to sales
YouTube Video section
The Admin pages are discussed from this point in the YouTube Video (35:33)
Admin Pages Worksheet (Word)
Admin Pages Worksheet (Google Form)
B. OFFERINGS PAGES
1. Design packages that can be sold on the website
2. Develop all the offerings website pages
3. Design them in such a way that converts potential customers and sales
YouTube Video section
The Offerings pages are discussed from this point in the YouTube Video (1:50:50)
Offerings Pages Worksheet (Word)
Offerings Pages Worksheet (Google Form)
Chapter 4 - Website Home Page
In this chapter you need to develop a new Home page for the website of your client’s business.
To do so you need to complete a worksheet with your client and then develop a Home page on the demo website I have created for you on brandshepherd.net.
You can watch the meeting video of this chapter where I explain everything you need to do:
1. Complete the Website Homepage Worksheet
2. Design a Website Homepage
A. Website Homepage Worksheet
Website Homepage Worksheet (Word)
Download this worksheet in Word when you are with your client to fill in the various answers. Then complete the Google form below and submit.
Website Homepage Worksheet (Google Form)
Once you have completed the Word Worksheet, submit your answers to this worksheet and click submit.
There are three videos that you need to watch with your client in order to effectively complete the worksheet. Make sure that when you meet with your client you:
- Are meeting in a place that has wifi, or
- Have enough data to stream the videos, or
- Have downloaded the videos to your phone before the meeting.
If you want to download the videos to your phone you can access the videos here:
- https://youtu.be/HFergI0UOAs (business one liner – 30 min)
- https://youtu.be/Oj9Nsz1Ij2w (website 1 – 5 min)
- https://youtu.be/AILkmbHdRWc (website 2 – 5 min)
- https://youtu.be/G1YQCmv4t80 (website 3 – 5 min)
Do not send the videos to your client. Watch the videos with your client and then complete the necessary sections in the worksheet together.
B. Website Building with WordPress and Divi
Once you have completed the Website Homepage Worksheet you will have all that you need to start building the Homepage of the website.
For those groups that have a registered Agency and registered Business I have set up a demo website at brandshepherd.net. Your job is to take the information from the website worksheet and then develop a homepage.
You will only get access to your demo website once both your Agency and Business have registered!
We will be using WordPress and Divi to build the websites. WordPress is a content management system that runs most of the websites in the world. And Divi is the number one WordPress theme because of its drag and drop functionality.
In order to set up your website using Divi and start building you need to follow the instructions in this video:
Divi Authentication Details
API Key: de27832a8a25f9aee6eaa93f6b9f5bd8e01702c7
Divi Beginner Tutorials
Divi Advanced Tutorials
Even more Divi Tutorials
Chapter 3 - Brand Identity
This week you need to help your client establish their Brand Identity. To do this, make an apointment with your client and work though the Brand Identity Worksheet.
Your goal is to come to a point where you and the client are agreed on the best direction for:
- The Brand Logo
- Brand Website URL
- Brand Positioning and Promise
- Brand Messages
Once you have agreed you can use Canva or another logo development programme to design a new logo for them. This you will need to submit to me to check as well.
The video explains everything you need to do in depth.
A. Brand Identity Worksheet
Brand Identity Worksheet (Word)
You are welcome to use this Word file when sitting with your client. But thereafter you should transfer the info to the Online worksheet below and submit.
Brand Identity Worksheet (Online)
Once you have completed the Word document please full out the online worksheet and submit.
B. Logo (re)design
So if you have come to a point where you and the client have decided to either design or redesign the logo you can do so using a number of different ways:
- Canva (https://www.canva.com/)
- Any other online design platform (https://www.format.com/magazine/resources/design/online-graphic-design-software)
- Photoshop ($11.49 per month with Adobe Photography plan – https://www.adobe.com/africa/creativecloud/plans.html) [requires a good computer and knowledge of Photoshop]
- Get a professional designer to create one (Use a local designers or use Fiverr: https://www.fiverr.com/)
Chapter 2 - Business & Market Analysis
A. Business and Marketing Audit
- Complete the B&A Audit with your client
- Make an arrangement to do research with 50 of your client’s customers.
B&A Worksheet (Word)
In order to complete the business analysis, sit down with your client and complete the following worksheet in person or via the phone.
Ask them questions and then fill in their details.
B&A Worksheet (Google Form)
After completing the Word document, transfer all the answers to this Google form, put in your email address and click “Submit.”
Here you can watch a video example of how I worked through the worksheet with one of my clients.
MS Teams Meeting Video
Unfortunately the system did not record the meeting that was held via MS Teams. In it I simply went through the Smul Lekker example above and gave some pointers.
If you watch the video example above you should get a good feel for how to complete the worksheet properly.
- Do not simply send the document to them and ask them to complete it. You are the consultant so you must guide them through it. The worksheet is designed to help you ask the right questions.
- Try and get as much info from your client as possible. You will be using this info in your written marketing plan document.
- Think with them through new ideas and jot down those new ideas in the audit for later use.
- Try and understand their business as well as possible so that you an function as an effective consultant.
B. Customer Research Survey
- Create a questionnaire with which to survey 50 customers.
- Make arrangements with your client and group to administer the survey.
Questionnaire Template & Examples
In your Agency’s Google Folder I have placed a copy of a questionnaire template that includes a number of different example questions. You need to chat to your client and determine which questions you want to use in your questionnaire. Then you need to modify them to relate to the client’s business.
There are example questionnaires in each agency folder you can look through to get an idea of what to include. See video for how to edit the questionnaire:
Once you have finalised your survey you need to run it with about 50 customers. You can use your phones to facilitate the survey. Google forms will automatically capture the responses and create graphs that you can use in your final strategy document. You can also immediately show your client the results of the survey by sending them the graphs.
If your client has a new business then you need to survey 50 potential customers instead and gather information about their preferences and perceptions of other similar businesses. So, if it is going to be a hair salon in Mowbray then you need to walk around the main road of Mowbray and survey people who resemble the target audience of the client’s business.
Chapter 1 - Client & Agency Registration
Find a client and ask them to register for the programme.
Your client can by any small business, whether a long established business or a start up. You can even use this programme to take your own existing business online. However, if you do not have an already established business and have little experience with business it is recommended that you rather work with an existing business.
Once you have secured a client please ensure that they register for the programme at the following link:
You also need to register your agency in order to participate. Make sure that each of your group members has a Gmail account and that you submit these details when you register.
Chapter 6 - Blogging & SEO
Chapter 7 - Marketing Videos
Chapter 8 - Lead Generators
Chapter 9 - Ecommerce
Chapter 10 - Sales Funnels
Chapter 11 - Email Marketing
Your content goes here. Edit or remove this text inline or in the module Content settings. You can also style every aspect of this content in the module Design settings and even apply custom CSS to this text in the module Advanced settings.
Chapter 12 - Social Media Marketing
Chapter 13 - Online Promotion
Chapter 14 - Online Advertising
Chapter 15 - Campaign Pitch